Banner

Banner

Friday, September 6, 2019

A Little About Renee Wildes, Author of A Guardian's Destiny


A Little About Renee Wildes, Author of A Guardian's Destiny


1.              When and why did you begin writing?
I have always been a voracious reader (horse stories and Trixie Belden when I was a kid and fantasy when I got older—Terry Brooks and Mercedes Lackey). I came late to the romance genre (the first one I read was Bertrice Small’s “Skye O’Malley”) and wanted to combine fantasy and romance. At the time no one was doing that—how times have changed! LOL

I read somewhere to write what you want to read so I did! No damsels in distress for me!

I dabbled for years and then got serious around 2000, joining RWA chapters, getting a critique group, entering contests, sending out query after query. I first got published in 2005, after pitching at the NJ RWA PYHIAB Conference to Angela James.

2.              Tell us your latest news.
On the personal side of things, I recently became a first-time grandma! My grandson Roman Allen was born 8/20/19. 7 lbs 11 oz and 22 inches long.

On the professional side of things, my sci fi romance WIP Seditious Hearts finaled in the Shiela and Ignite the Flame RWA contests and WON the FFP RWA OTFS contest.

**I am currently working on pre-edits for Guardians of Light, Book 7 entitled A Guardian Redeemed and hope to have it in Cassie Knight’s hands shortly!**

3.              When did you first consider yourself a writer?
My Grandma Jeanne first called me one when I was six. I first started writing my own pony stories in those weird notebooks you used to practice cursive writing in—the ones with the dotted lines in the middle. I was the only kid in my class to be given MAXIMUM word counts on writing projects!

4.              Do you have a specific writing style?
I am a huge fan of Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey. I’ve been compared to Mercedes Lackey by more than one judge. Reviewers and judges have both commented on my non-human characters, dialogue, and world-building strengths. I write informally, conversational, in close third-person POV—both hero and heroine, alternating. I enjoy writing strong heroines, and my heroes run in the beta spectrum. (What do you expect from a Daniel Jackson groupie? LOL)

5.              How did you come up with the title?
The series is “Guardians of Light” so all 7 of my titles employ some take on the “Guardian” reference.

A GUARDIAN’S DESTINY (Book 5) is acknowledging the struggle my elven heroine Verdeen has with the concept of Destiny. The elves believe in the preordained Destiny Hand, but Verdeen’s mistress Queen Dara is half-human/half-dragon and believes we make our own destinies through our choices and actions. The human hero Aryk believes in “Stovak nos briel” which translates as “Destiny Awaits.” So Verdeen’s getting it on all fronts and has to make up her own mind as to where her beliefs lie along that spectrum.

6.              Is there a message in your novel you want readers to grasp?
That our life paths stem from our own choices and actions. We are not limited by what we were or what others decree for us—we can work to become whatever we envision for ourselves. Even if others don’t believe in us, we can believe in ourselves.

7.              Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I can get lost for hours following bits of research, and I tend to edit as I write, which makes me very slow when I start something new! LOL

8.              What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The hero Aryk’s greatest antagonist was actually his best friend and second, Valkyn. Valkyn is a stubborn, opinionated traditionalist who fears Aryk’s desire for change shows a lack of respect for their gods and ancestors and are leading him—and thus their people—astray. He was challenging to write because trying to make him see reason made ME want to smack him upside the head sometimes!

**BTW, Valkyn is the hero of Book 7, A Guardian Redeemed—due out from Champagne sometime in the Spring of 2020.**

9.              Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
When I was a kid, Grandma Jeanne and I would play a game where we would start to read a book and try to guess the ending ahead of time. When we were wrong, she would ask, “So, what would you write differently?” She got me thinking about the story process, the concept of a series of plot points galloping toward a conclusion, and how scenes worked in specific sequence to support a whole world. She was an amazing writer of poetry herself and my first and biggest fan.

10.           Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
In research, I learned a lot about Iceland, Viking culture and lore, Spartan culture and lore, life in the Artic Circle, mountain climbing, avalanches, the Northern lights, medieval castles, forging.

In character development, I learned how much Verdeen had grown and changed from Dara’s lady’s maid in Book 1 (A Guardian’s Heart). I learned from Aryk and Valkyn how people with diverse beliefs and viewpoints can still have mutual respect and friendship. I learned the power of believing in a dream and standing up for oneself.

11.           Do you have any advice for other writers?
Join writer’s groups, get a critique partner/group, take online classes, enter contests. Never stop learning. Write what your heart dictates—not the market or trends. What truly matters to you will shine through your writing, and connect with your readers. Grow a thick skin—rejection is a rite of passage, and it’s not personal. Keep shaking it off and moving on. When you finish one project, start another.

12.           Do you have anything specific you want to say to your readers?
Authors love reviews and fan mail. If you enjoyed a book, let the author know. Post a review. Recommend it to your friends. Writing can be an isolated and sometimes lonely existence. Let us know we’re making a difference to you!

13.           What inspired you to write your first book?
I came up with the series title Guardians of Light as an overlying theme for my books. As a Navy brat and a cop’s kid, it felt natural and “me.” They feature all the things I love best in books—action, adventure, magic, heroics, romance, and lots of critters!

Book 1, A Guardian’s Heart, was literally born from a single scene of a red-haired woman standing in a burning tower. When I learned she STARTED the fire, I had to know how and why. It became a unique spin of Cinderella, where the peasant maiden Dara saves the prince, Loren.

Each subsequent book starred a minor character introduced in a previous title, who went on to star in their own story, but all the kingdoms are part of the same world and old friends from before are known to make “guest appearances” throughout.

**Verdeen was assigned to Dara as her lady’s maid. But more than anything she wanted to be a warrior. Dara got her into the Academy, and A Guardian’s Destiny starts on her graduation day. (You also get to meet Dara and Loren’s daughter Elyria!)**

14.           Can you share a little of your current work with us?
This is an excerpt from A Guardian’s Destiny, when Aryk propositions Verdeen in the royal gardens on graduation night:

Verdeen paced through the lush gardens, letting the honey scent of night-blooming moonflowers soothe her. Their waxy ivory petals glowed in the lights. Thank the Lady Goddess everyone remained inside. The splashing of the wishing fountain attracted her, and she emerged into a small clearing lit by pink mage light. She wasn’t the first to venture there.
She froze at the intimidating figure staring into the shadowy ripples of water. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know anyone was here—”
“Don’t go.” Aryk turned from the fountain and held out a sun-bronzed hand. “Stay.”
She eyed his hand, wary of his touch. “Daq Aryk, what are you doing out here?”
“Just Aryk. I longed for quiet.” He raked his hand through his hair. “I felt on display.”
She could relate to both parts of his statement, and unexpected sympathy welled for the stranger. As if of its own volition, her body glided closer to him. His unique, multi-faceted, hazel eyes captured her gaze. Their intensity made her falter. “Why have you come here to Poshnari-Unai, my city?”
“To set my destiny in motion.” His lips quirked at her puzzlement. “Stovak nos briel.”
She cocked her head. “What do you mean?”
“Destiny awaits. Sounds grand and mysterious, hai?” He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “’Tisn’t. I’ve a political problem back home. Cianan believes Loren could help.”
Humans followed the Destiny Hand? “He’s very good at solving most problems.”
Everyone’s but mine.
“Your eyes are red. You’ve been weeping. Why?” He frowned, but she read genuine concern in his eyes. “Today you triumphed over everyone. I’ve never seen aught like it. You were amazing.”
“Really?” She cursed the tremor in her voice, the eager approval-seeking obvious even to herself.
His smile softened the harsh planes of his face and deepened the crinkles around his eyes, making him seem younger and less imposing. “Hai. I’ve seen many a warrior in my lifetime. Believe me when I say you’re gifted, Kyra. Smart, strong, and beautiful. Poetry in motion.”
Something melted within her at the compliment. There was the word again, kyra, his husky tone nigh making it an endearment.
“The one thing I wanted most in this world slipped through my fingers this afternoon. A chance to be selected as a ranger trainee, to further my studies. It didn’t happen.” A tear fell. She froze as he brushed it away.
“There are many paths to greatness. A warrior’s greatest strength is the scope of his vision. You showed vision and judgment today, but take care lest your focus cause you to miss your true path. A warrior must above all be adaptable to change. The one thing that never changes is the fact everything changes.”
He held out his hand again, and she took it. Big mistake. His thick, scarred fingers caressed hers. made her tingle in places not even remotely attached to her hand. She entwined her fingers with his to still them and bit her lip at the zing of awareness as his thumb brushed the sensitive skin of her inner wrist.
“Cease,” she whispered.
“Cease what?” His voice dropped to a smooth, dark seduction of lethal proportions. “This?” His fingers teased hers with long, light strokes. “Or this?” He rubbed gentle circles over her pulse, which hammered at his touch.
She should have extricated herself but didn’t move. Couldn’t move. “This isn’t proper.”
Some rebellious part of her didn’t care.
“Do you always do what’s proper, Kyra?”
“What’s kyra mean?”
“’Tis a term for a woman warrior.”
“We also have such a term, ancient and seldom used. Vertenya. Few exist in our world to carry such a title.”
Per Cianan, there were now but two—Queen Dara and herself.
Aryk slid closer, the heat from his body curling around her. “I answered your question. Now you answer mine.”
What was his question? If only she’d focused on his words instead of on the rich smoky warmth of his voice. Like crème rija pudding with honeyed brandy. Sheer decadence to make her melt.
“Do you always do what’s proper?”
Female in the military? It didn’t get any less proper. Just ask her absent parents. Acourse, holding hands with a royal guest in a moonlit garden wasn’t proper, either. Yet here she stood with her hand in his, close enough for his subtle musky scent to push the fragrance of the flowers from her awareness. All she could think of was how she wanted to move closer yet. Dazed, she shook her head.
Heat flared in his changeable eyes. “They said this is a wishing fountain. If you make a wish and toss in a pebble, your wish comes true.”
“’Tis true. A legend as old as this city itself. There are faeries with the power to grant it, if the wish is personal and comes from the heart.”
Aryk uncurled his free hand, revealed a stone. With a flick, he tossed it over her shoulder. Verdeen heard the splash. “Guess what I wished for.”
“Your destiny would be fulfilled?”
“Stovak nos briel. Nay, what I wished for is more personal and out of my hands.”
“What?”
Their gazes clashed then locked. His eyes narrowed, darkened. “A kiss freely given by you.”
What? Her heart skipped a beat. Why waste the power of a wish on such a frivolous thing?
He must have read the disbelief on her face. “’Tis a rare gift. Tonight in this magical place, all things seem possible.”
They did. They truly did. She should be angry or offended at his outrageous request. She should return to the party. Today had been emotional chaos, leaving her raw, vulnerable in its wake. Tonight, heart ruled mind. She nibbled her lower lip, undecided. Why? Mayhap ’twas the moonlight, the seclusion of the garden setting. Mayhap ’twas his words, the understanding on his face. The heat in his eyes, the warmth of his hand.
Or mayhap Cianan was right. Mayhap her inner woman simply tired of her warrior self always having the say.


15.           Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Not specifically, but I think we can all relate to what happens after things DON’T go as planned. This was Verdeen’s dilemma—she wanted to be chosen by an elven war-mare and become one of the elite Rangers. She sacrificed everything, isolating herself from everyone, in pursuit of that single goal. And then…she wasn’t chosen, and to make things worse, her best friend was. Everything she’d assumed disintegrated to dust. So she had to pick herself up, brush herself off, and discover a new dream to live. Haven’t we all been there? How we deal with setbacks and disappointment define who we are.

 


Follow her and all her news here:


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me today! I will be a guest host at the Cozy Up For Fall CBG Author party on Facebook tomorrow night, Saturday 9/7/19 for 1 hour from 8:30-9:30 PM CST over at https://www.facebook.com/events/508431066629339/523616998444079/?notif_t=admin_plan_mall_activity&notif_id=1567794611889336 and hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashleigh Jackson Comment to your fb question... I wanted to be an Egyptologist.

    ReplyDelete